Sclerotherapy: What You Should Know
Sclerotherapy is the gold standard in treating spider veins today. It can also treat many varicose veins as well. Here’s what you should know:
- What it is: In sclerotherapy, a physician injects a specialized solution into the veins. The solutions we use offer patients a high level of safety and produce few side effects. We also offer ultrasound-guided foam sclerotherapy, which uses ultrasound imaging technology to help guide a doctor’s movements. This is particularly effective for the smallest of spider veins.
- What it does: After the solution is injected into a vein, it causes the vein to scar and close. This reroutes blood to other, healthy veins and causes the spider veins to disappear.
- Points to note:
- It may take 1 to 2 weeks to see the full effect of this treatment.
- Your doctor may recommend undergoing multiple treatments for the most effective end result.
- Depending on the location of spider veins, your doctor may suggest another treatment along with sclerotherapy. For example, we may recommend laser vein removal for spider veins in the face area.
Experience the Blessing Difference: Our Vein Clinic
Our skilled care team offers a comprehensive range of minimally invasive procedures to effectively treat the symptoms caused by venous insufficiency.
Patients choose the Blessing Vein Clinic for our:
- Expertise: Our surgeon Dr. Michael Nellestein is board certified through the American Board of Medical Specialties in cardiothoracic surgery and has undergone extensive additional training specifically for vein disease. He uses advanced techniques and performs procedures in the least invasive way, so you see excellent results with less pain.
- Focus on vein care: Dr. Nellestein is the only full-time vein specialist in the area, which means he focuses on treating vein problems each and every day. This translates to the highest quality of care for our patients.
- Care that focuses on you: Our care team seeks to exceed patients’ expectations—every time. We listen intently to your concerns and individualize a treatment plan just for you. All our treatments are minimally invasive and can be completed within 1 hour or less.
- No hidden fees: Though many of our treatments are covered by major medical insurance plans, we sit down with all patients to discuss costs before moving forward. We promise no surprises—just effective results.
To schedule an appointment or refer a patient, please call (217) 214-9611.