Varicose Vein Symptoms
When the valves in your blood vessels become diseased, or damaged, they stop working properly. This can cause blood to get backed up in your arms or legs instead of flowing back to the heart. Varicose veins are largely a cosmetic concern, though some can cause pain or discomfort.
Symptoms of varicose veins most often stem from the legs and include:
- Bulging or swelling
- Aching or throbbing
- Pain that stems from a vein
- Itching or burning sensation
- A “heavy” feeling when you move your arm or leg
- Restless legs
Varicose Vein Treatment
Our vein care team uses a range of treatments to effectively treat varicose veins, including:
- Radiofrequency ablation and endovenous laser ablation: We offer minimally invasive techniques that few other specialists in the area offer. These techniques rely on thermal (heat) energy to close large blood vessels from the inside. The laser reaches the veins through a catheter, delivering the thermal energy. This effectively treats certain kinds of varicose veins, especially large leg veins.
- Microphlebectomy: Under local anesthetic, damaged veins are removed from the leg through tiny puncture sites. We often perform this in combination with laser therapy to provide excellent results. Microphlebectomy treatment can effectively treat certain larger varicose veins.
- Sclerotherapy: Currently seen as the gold standard in treating spider veins, this therapy can also treat some varicose veins. In this procedure, a physician injects a specialized solution into damaged veins, causing them to close. Learn more about sclerotherapy.
Experience the Blessing Difference: Our Vein Clinic
Our skilled care team offers a comprehensive range of minimally invasive procedures to effectively treat a range of symptoms stemming from venous insufficiency.
Patients choose the Blessing Vein Clinic for our:
- Expertise: Our surgeon Dr. Michael Nellestein is board certified through the American Board of Medical Specialties and has more than 25 years of experience. He uses the most advanced techniques and performs procedures in the least invasive way, so you see excellent results with less pain.
- Singular focus: Dr. Nellestein is the only full-time vein specialist in the area. That focus translates to the most innovative treatments and the highest level of care for our patients.
- Care that focuses on you: After meeting with our care team, we will develop an individualized treatment plan that tackles your biggest concerns. All our treatments can be completed in 1 hour or less.
- No hidden fees: The vast majority of our treatments are covered by major medical insurance plans. You’ll know exactly what any procedure will cost before you reach the treatment chair.
To schedule an appointment or refer a patient, please call (217) 214-9611.