The Blessing Foundation is a charity dedicated to improving the care and lives of people within our local community. We support individuals and families on their healthcare journeys, nursing students for their education and Blessing and Illini hospitals and clinics working to improve the care they provide.
Charity Begins at Home: The Blessing Foundation Difference
From large projects to small expenses, we do what it takes to help our community. The Blessing Foundation provides funding for:
- Individuals and families: When you become ill, your household bills don’t disappear. If you are a Blessing patient without the financial resources to cover basic expenses, we may be able to help. We have built wheelchair ramps, paid electric bills, provided gas money and bought new car tires for qualified individuals and families.
- Students: Our nursing students are the future caregivers at Blessing. We provide financial aid to most student nurses at Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing & Health Sciences.
- Departments: Every year, we provide grants to Blessing and Illini departments and clinics to improve care at their facilities. We have funded major renovations and new equipment at Blessing and Illini hospitals.
Blessing Foundation Funds, Scholarships and Grants
We oversee numerous funds and scholarships donated by generous individuals and Blessing Health System employees. We disburse grants from our investments to improve healthcare facilities. Learn about how to choose a fund or scholarship to support.
Funds to support individual and facility expenses
We have 38 restricted funds for Blessing Hospital, 11 restricted funds for Illini Community Hospital and an unrestricted fund, the Caring Club, funded by employee and community donations. Read more stories about helping our patients and their families.
- Restricted funds: Donors specify how these funds can be spent. For example, the Merrick Family Medical Crisis Fund subsidizes travel, lodging and food expenses for families of children who have been transferred to a facility with a higher level of pediatric care in another town.
- Unrestricted funds: Unrestricted donations can go to the Blessing Foundation to fund general improvements in healthcare across Blessing. Or the funds can go into the Caring Club, a fund created by Blessing employee and community donations. This fund supports patients on their health journeys regardless of illness or condition, when the help they need cannot be provided through any other fund.
Scholarships for nursing students
Thanks to individual donors, we provide financial aid to most students at Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing & Health Sciences. Over the 2018-19 academic year, we awarded $1,332,054 in grants and scholarships from 42 scholarships. We match students with the most appropriate scholarships for their situations and needs.
Every year, Blessing Health System departments apply for additional funding from the Blessing Foundation to improve their facilities, update or purchase equipment or enhance their services to patients. For 2019, we provided $1,700,000 from our investments for such grants. Learn about our grants and projects.
Why I Give to the Caring Club
John Hull, RT(R), CNMT, nuclear medicine technologist, Illini Community Hospital
“I see how much need there is that is unmet by any other means. I know how tight knit this community is and would like to think that if I was ever in need of something, especially medically, that there would be someone who would be willing to help me.”
Our online donation form makes it easy to choose a fund and make a gift in your name or in honor of a loved one. Make your donation today. If you would prefer to mail your donation, send it to the address below:
The Blessing Foundation
PO Box 7005
Quincy, Illinois 62305