All classes meet at Blessing Hospital and include a tour of the labor and delivery department, so you can feel confident in choosing us for your birth experience.
Prepared Childbirth Class
This class prepares you and your support partner for a rewarding birth experience and beyond. Here’s what you should know:
- Topics: In this class, our certified childbirth educator covers:
- Labor and delivery: You will learn about breathing and relaxation techniques to cope with labor, labor induction methods and cesarean births. Learn more about labor and delivery FAQs.
- Newborn care: The second half of class focuses on common newborn behaviors and teaches basic newborn care. This topic includes infant feeding and sleeping strategies.
- Sessions: We offer 2 options for childbirth classes, for your convenience:
- One 4-week session (2 hours per week)
- One all-day class on a Saturday
- Details: As part of the course, you will receive a 123-page manual that covers the birth process through baby’s first year of life. Please bring 2 bed-sized pillows to class and dress comfortably.
This class focuses on the benefits of breastfeeding and shares strategies for a successful breastfeeding journey. Here’s what you should know:
- Topics: In this class, our certified lactation consultant addresses:
- Proper positioning and common latching concerns
- How to tell if baby is getting enough milk
- Ways to overcome breastfeeding obstacles after returning to work
- Sessions: This 1-night class meets on select weeknights. Please call (217) 223-8400, ext. 5901 for current class times.
- Details: We encourage moms and their partners to attend this breastfeeding class. We also offer a weekly in-person support group and an online Facebook group for moms who breastfeed. Learn more about our breastfeeding support services.
This class helps answer questions you and your support partner may have about epidural procedures during childbirth. Here’s what you should know:
- Topics: In this class, Blessing Hospital’s anesthesia staff:
- Explains how an epidural works
- Discusses what you should expect with an epidural procedure
- Answers your questions about anesthesia during childbirth
- Sessions: This class lasts 1 hour. Please call (217) 223-8400, ext. 5901 for current class times.
Childbirth Refresher Class
This shortened class benefits women who attended a childbirth prep class during a previous pregnancy or need a brief refresher to prepare for a new baby. Here’s what you should know:
- Topics: Blessing’s maternity care experts give an abbreviated version of childbirth preparation and newborn care.
- Sessions: This class lasts 2 hours. Please call (217) 223-8400, ext. 5901 for current class times.
- Details: Please dress comfortably and bring 2 bed-sized pillows to class. We also encourage you to bring a support person.