Otoplasty: What You Should Know
Otoplasty (also called ear pinning) is a common cosmetic procedure that can successfully address varying reasons people might be unhappy with the look of their ears to change shape, size, or position. This surgery can be done on kids or adults. Here’s what you should know about this procedure:
- What it is: When the ears do not develop (or fold back) properly in the womb, they can look larger, or more prominent, than some people prefer. We make precise incisions on the back of the ear and use specialized techniques to reshape the ears’ cartilage for a more natural look. Otoplasty can address concerns you may have with the size, shape, positioning or proportion of your ears.
- Recovery time: After surgery, you may need to wear a special head dressing (particularly at night) for a few weeks, to enable effective healing. You can expect sutures (stitches) to dissolve after 1 week. Most patients return to work after a few days or up to 2 weeks after otoplasty surgery.
Experience the Blessing Difference: Plastic Surgery
Our dedicated plastic surgery care team can help you decide which procedure (or combination of procedures) can best address your cosmetic concerns. Patients choose Blessing for our:
- Care that focuses on you: We treat every patient like family—from your first interaction with our care team until your last follow-up appointment.
- Multiple procedures at one time: Otoplasty can sometimes be performed at the same time as other cosmetic procedures, such as rhinoplasty (nose surgery) or chin surgery. With our experience, we can recommend a treatment plan that minimizes risks and maximizes results.
- In-depth consultation process: We want you to feel confident before moving forward with any treatment plan. We are happy to provide any information during the consultation process, including scheduling a second consult visit to ensure we have answered all your questions. Learn more about what to expect.
To schedule an appointment or refer a patient, please call (217) 214-6256.